Saturday, December 13, 2008

Quack Quack Quack



About a week after we hung it to dry, it was time to cut down the duck and see how we did.

The answer? Pretty good, but we might do a couple things differently next time.

The meat was very nicely cured and dried, but could have maybe used just a smidge more time in the salt, and maybe an extra day or so hanging. It's tough - the ends of the breast, which were much thinner, were a bit too dry; the middle could have used a little bit more. But not terribly so, it was still a success I think. Also, I might add some other flavorings to the mix, maybe some fresh herbs.

My biggest frustration was just that I couldn't get it sliced thinly enough. We have an awesome slicing knife, and I'm not sure if I just couldn't slice it so great or if the meat needed to be a bit firmer. Or, of course, it might just be that we need to get a tabletop electric meat slicer.

But very tasty. When we put up pictures of our cheese dinner from last night, you'll see a nice heaping pile of housemade duck prosciutto.

What should we hang next?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think a table top meat slicer is a bad idea for a Hollander...