Monday, December 22, 2008

Huevos Rancheros Muy Buenos


We made Huevos Rancheros for dinner last Wednesday using a tomatillo sauce from Rick Bayless's "Mexican Everyday" cookbook. Mexican food is one of my favorite things to make as a home cook. I often rely on Rick Bayless's recipes because they are easy to follow, he knows what he is talking about and just about everything that I've made with his recipes has been delicious. For the tomatillo sauce we blended garlic, serrano chiles, tomatillos and some chopped cilantro in a food processor. In case you were wondering where the bacon comes into this, we fried up some bacon and used the bacon drippings to cook the pureed sauce.

I am a huge proponent of making homemade corn tortillas using masa harina and reconstituting it with water. I divide the dough into balls and use a tortilla press to flatten the dough into a disk. Once the dough has been flattened, I throw the tortillas onto a skillet on the stove and cook until the surface is less shiny and light brown. Using the tortilla press is one of my favorite kitchen tools and the taste and texture of fresh tortillas can't be beat. Below is the final dish. A layer of tortillas with a layer of sauce, two fried eggs, bacon and mexican crema. Yum!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: